Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Remembrances

Yesterday I unpacked some things that just made me smile. A mug that I picked up when my oldest son and I went to Taquamenon Falls and another one that I picked up on Mackinac Island (both during the same class trip.) A mug that I got when my youngest son and I went to the zoo on a class trip. The kids hot chocolate mugs that friends gave us for Christmas a couple of years ago. My "Dragonfly Inn" coffee mug (well really soup mug, but I was really addicted to coffee!) that one of my best friends (almost wrote "besties" by accident. I really hate that word. I totally annoys me whenever someone writes in on FB. If you say it out loud it sounds like your calling someone a beast in a cutesy way. Ugh!) ummmmm......oh yeah....gave me for my birthday one year. Socks that I knitted for one of my boys. A sweater that I knitted for another. A hat of my oldest boy's filled with pins from that same Mackinac Island trip (I think he though it was gone, but YAY!! I have it.)

All of that in just four boxes.  This is really a test of how much I remember. Some of it, I remembered something about it, but not where it came from or who it belonged to right away. Some of it triggered memories immediately. Some of it took a while. I'm discovering that getting ready for a yard sale is harder than I expected when you don't have all of your memories back yet.

For instance, I pulled out some of the kids books and realized I can't sell any of them. Not that I believe I need to hold onto every last one of them, but more because I can't remember which ones the kids actually would want to keep and which ones they wouldn't.  After staring at them for a while, I could pick out a couple of favorites and/or where they came from. I could also pick out a couple that I didn't need to hang onto because I didn't feel there was any reason to (a.k.a. random board book that looked REALLY new. None of my kids are young enough to appreciate a board book and it seriously looked like none of them ever even cracked the spine.) However, for the most part, it's a blank slate there. That will be something for me to look forward to rediscovering with my kids. What books they want to keep and what they don't.

Today will be another adventure as I dive further into the items I haven't looked at for over a year. What memories with they bring back? Will they all be happy memories, or are there personal demons lurking in the shadowed corners of my storage unit? Here's hoping I just don't accidentally sell something I shouldn't and that the remembrances keep coming fast and strong. As long as I'm doing something to cause them they aren't as overwhelming as they were last month (or the month before that.)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as though this project is coming to you at a perfect time.

    ReplyDelete

GROUP HUG!!!! Friends make everything better.

GROUP HUG!!!! Friends make everything better.