Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Challenge

Life is full of challenges. It just is, and we accept this because if we didn't.... well, then our lives would just suck. Sometimes, just getting up out of bed in the morning is a challenge.  No one person's challenges are easier or harder than the next person's, just different.

We have to remember that challenges make us stronger. If getting out of bed is a challenge because you're not a morning person, then every morning you get up early and do what needs to be done has strengthened you. If you're depressed, then every time you face another day with a smile (real or pseudo) has strengthened you. If you have low self esteem, then every time you put yourself out there in any way, shape, or form has strengthened you.


Facing challenges head on is a daily challenge for all people. For me, this blog is mine. I've felt prodded by God to put my story out there, but fear held me back. Fear of bringing back memories I don't feel ready to face. Fear of being bombarded with hatred more than I already am. Fear of not being able to put my emotions into the written word. The result of letting that fear hold me back is that I didn't do this for longer than I should have, and lost a great deal of what needed to be said. It's not necessarily gone forever (I have managed to say some of what I've needed to say for a long time in a way that is far less threatening to me then having to say it all face to face with the people I care about.)

Herein lies my new challenge.  I have things that need to be said to certain people that I care about, but I'd like to say them here for everyone to read. Not to call these people out in a public forum (no names will be used), but because these things should be said for the world to hear. These are important things. Things everyone needs to remember about others in this world. About caring and forgiveness. About the fact that everyone is accountable for all of their own actions (myself very included), and when you do something hurtful it isn't forgotten just because you choose to ignore that you did it in the first place. Apologies are a necessary part of life.  I just need to get over my fear and find the words.

Here's my challenge to all of you. What are you holding back from doing because it's not easy or scary?  Figure that out, and do it. Because, having done it, you will be a stronger person.

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
- Nelson Mandela


No comments:

Post a Comment

GROUP HUG!!!! Friends make everything better.

GROUP HUG!!!! Friends make everything better.